Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Culturally Competent Care Reflection#3(10-25-2011)

My group and I selected the Hawaiian Culture to research for this project. We selected this because we both felt that the culture of Hawaiians was very interesting, as it always has been from the start of their existence. They are a beautiful people, and I would love to live among them because their culture is one like no other.I discovered that the stereotypical Aloha Shirts with flowers and buttons all over them, usually worn in movies, are actually real! They are actually very popular among Hawaiians. Also, I figured out that to start out with, the Hawaiian alphabet started out with only 12 letters! I could use the flowered shirts to my advantage in a medical setting. If I worked as a nurse, and i knew my patient was Hawaiian, there is many things I could do to make them feel like they are at home. The blankets I give them could be a flowery background. I could as well give them a lei to show my respect to them. I would like to learn more about how their language is structured. I know that the letters have begun to show similarities to the English language, but there are still differences. I would like to learn more about how their sentences are structured.

No comments:

Post a Comment